Sunday 29 May 2011

It's Never Too Late For Ballet Joy

If you subscribe to The Times, here's the link:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/life/article3039249.ece

If not I've been a tad sneaky and done this for you:








Clearly there's a bit of artistic/journalist licence with the Pointe Shoes (Pointe Work is achievable as an Adult Beginner but it takes time, strength and technique), however the magic of the tutu and satin shoes never fade.


I will leave you with this





 

To quote Margot Fonteyn, 

“The one important thing I have learned over the years is the difference between taking one's work seriously and taking one's self seriously. The first is imperative and the second is disastrous.”


BB xx

3 comments:

  1. Oh BB... This is why I keep coming back to your blog - the "Cringe Factor" + French & Saunders posting has put me into a good mood for the weekend!

    Like Dirty Harry would say, "A man's gotta know his Limitations" - I can only wonder to what extent the average Pro Dancer's facial muscles are stressed to keep a serious expression when coming accross articles like that.

    (The equivalent in my profession being the type of books or courses such as "Teach yourself C++ Programming in 48 hours" or some such nonsense - Yeah right, you're welcome to try, But I ain't going to hire you for my team ;-))

    Hope you have a great weekend!
    -- Jan N

    ReplyDelete
  2. how come she had her first ballet lesson in pointe shoes?? I thought nobody would let a novice do that :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. First up:

    Hello and Welcome to Alice, it's lovely to meet you and thank you for joining us; I've really enjoyed my 'Adventures in Blog Land' and I hope you do too.

    You know guys, as I've said in the above post, I'm a complete zealot about the wide ranging benefit of all dance and I would encourage everybody to go to a class, that is suitable for their ability and fitness level; getting injured or overwhelmed on your first trip to the studio, is not a positive outcome.

    So why is it that a journalist can't put on suitable attire, attend an Adult Beginner class and write a sensible and well balanced article? No, of course you can't become a professional dancer at the age of 41, and it's unlikely you will master difficult repertoire or indeed, Pointe work, but your core strength, flexibility and co-ordination will benefit and you will experience, perhaps most importantly, the sheer joy of dancing, regardless of your level of expertise.


    BB xx

    ReplyDelete