Monday 17 January 2011

Introducing The March Madness 'Dance Off'!

The press has worked itself into a frenzy over the last couple of weeks about all things ballet related in the run up to the UK release of Black Swan. The usual clichés have been regurgitated (yes that is my Bulimia joke) in various articles about eating disorders, physically punishing regimes and fanatical discipline.
Well (Shock, Horror) it's pretty impossible to turn 32 Fouettes en Pointe, if you are not in peak physical condition.




Anyway, this had lead to many discussions between myself and Dr Kate Twinkletoes (my former Partner in Crime at the Ballet Barre and now an esteemed clinician in San Francisco) about the various Dance Films we have seen over the years and their various attributes. The biggest problem with this genre of film is that dancers aren't necessarily that convincing at delivering lines of dialogue, whereas actors (even in close up) are never believable as classically trained dancers. It is quite a conundrum.

At the suggestion of Dr Twinkletoes I will be launching The March Madness 'Dance Off' Awards; all throughout March you will be able to vote for your favourite Dance Films in a variety of categories. If you have any suggestions about films you'd like to be included or any ideas about categories, I'd love to hear from you and I'll do my best to accommodate them.




It's alright Moira, don't sweat it, you've got a few weeks to make up your mind!


Ballet Bitch xx
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Every Ballet Barre on the planet

5 comments:

  1. Not sure where you live, BB - was guessing the UK, but perhaps you're on this side of the Atlantic... I'm sure you know by now that people in North America goes absolutely crazy about something FOR A LITTLE WHILE and then promptly forget about it again (including movies and/or the concepts behind those movies).

    I'm not expecting "Black Swan" to be treated any different. Oh and btw, as a non-Dancer I suffer from the common notion that classical dancers are people who 1) works incredibly hard, 2) are incredibly talented, 3) half the time are suicidal (the other half taken up by coping with issues brought on by their profession).

    I am sure that Black Swan will drive this popular (at least in my non-dancer mind) notion home even more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jan,

    Thank you for your continued interest; I do hope you will join in with The March Madness 'Dance Off. It's just a bit of fun, but it should be quite entertaining.

    Please let me know if you have any favourite Dance Film you'd like to nominate. If you're a fan of the Horror genre you should check out 'Suspiria' the 1977 Italian Horror film set in a ballet academy run by witches; it's a curious little number.

    Best wishes,

    BB xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning BB (at least here it is one, it's neither raining nor snowing for a change)

    Lest I be considered a Rude Lout by (what I think of as) one of the demigoddesses on stage performing an Art that I have admired for long, long time - please may I nominate the film "Flashdance" as a possible contender, for the following reasons:

    1. For sheer naivety thinking that an "exotic dancer" (aka "Stripper", or out here in West Coast Canada, "Peeler") without any classical/contemporary dance training could land a position in a "Real" ballet company

    2. For showing that (in spite of the harsh reality mentioned in #1) people can still at least dream a version of the "American Dream" that does not involve a big mansion and a car with the "Gold Package", instead going after something less tangible (Gasp! A career in the Performing Arts! Cross yourself and eat 2 slices of Apple Pie, lest your mind be corrupted too!)

    -- Best Wishes and Sincerely
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flashdance is an excellent choice and Dance Movie Classic and it will definitely be included in the '80's Leotard and Legwarmers' category!

    BB xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Evening BB

    I picked up a few ballet & dance DVDs from my local public library a few days ago, and one I think DOES warrant a nomination as well, if I am allowed:

    The Company (Neve Campbell, dir. Robert Altman) - I think professional dancers probably love this film (please tell me the world YOU live in is not THAT harsh? !!!)

    Best wishes and I hope your recovery is speedier than expected!

    -- JN

    ReplyDelete